Candy plates

So, as many of you already know, I am an avid fan of Pinterest ( I know most of you are too!)! I have found so many helpful recipes and ideas on there, I will be busy for quite awhile! One that I found a while back was for these really cute Serving trays! You make them out of Starlight Mints. The original Blog can be found here DIY Serving Tray.

I found the mints at the Dollar store!! (Score for cheapness in case it's a bust! ) So I bought 2 bags of red and 2 bags of green. The plan was for the girls to make trays for their teachers. This project was fun and fairly easy!!
 So we laid out the mints out in the desired patterns!!
 Here is the first one!! We immediately fell in love with it!
 And here is the Pattern Taylor ended up coming up with!
The girls had a great time and the trays turned out really good! Too bad neither one of their teachers will be getting them this year!

First warning, they break very easily! Madison was so excited about her's she had to pick it up while I was out of the room. When she 'set' it back down on the granite counter top....'CRACK' it broke... (and her's was my favorite!)

I received several questions asking if they were sticky! Honestly they were a little bit (2 out of 3). Not sticky sticky, but a little tacky to the touch! So...I read somewhere about sealing them! (Second warning!) I also thought I remembered someone saying you could possibly use Mod Podge.......Do Not, I repeat....DO NOT use Mod Podge!! Here is what will happen!!
 I will say that it is no longer sticky!! :) So next time I will use a spray sealant!

I also tried to make a Christmas Tree! As you can see I had the right idea, the mints on the edges just melted a little too much! I will try again! I have some ideas to stop/contain the melting. Don't worry I will share once I figure it out!!

This was a wonderful and fun project for me and the girls! We will definitely be working on perfecting it and next year it's on!!

0 comments: