Hurt feelings go both ways!

I got a call from my granny this morning. I haven't had a chance to talk to her in a few days so I answered the phone. The first words out of her mouth were "you really hurt my feelings this time". I knew what she was talking about. She says ( I say it that way because, she's not often accurate) that she has received some award from the "National Assisted Living Organization" (I'm not even sure if there is one.)

She says there was a big write up and she wanted me to make copies so I could have one and she could send some to her friend in Florida. I haven't had a chance to talk to her, because I have been working. She knows I'm not allowed to talk when I'm working.

When I answered the phone I had all intentions of congratulating her and telling her I couldn't wait to read the article.....she never gave me the chance. When I tried to explain that I was sorry I didn't have the chance to call her she just kept saying "you may not care about it, but I'm very excited".

I tried 3 different times to apologize and tell her I was excited, she wouldn't listen to me. I finally got frustrated and asked her why she never listened to me...her response "I'm sorry I bothered you."

I give up....we have many conversations that go this way. She asks me a question and when I give her the answer she ignores me.

I told one of my Twitter friends this morning that she is "crazy granny" she is either crazy funny or crazy mean.

Kelly tells me not to let it get to me. I try not to, but it's hard. I know she has dementia and gets confused....but she's not totally gone, part of her is still in there. She was always a little bit narcissistic, but it has gotten worse the older she gets. She is the master of guilt trips, she always has been. There are days when I wish that was something that was lost in the dementia.... instead, it seems to have only gotten worse.

0 comments: